Tuesday, March 08, 2005

What's up world?

So I got to go snowboarding Sun and Mon pretty early both days. The park was, in a word, EPIC. Go to this link to check out how awesome the jibs, (rails and boxes,) and all the jumps are right now. It is super fun because it is really warm out right now and I am trying to learn some new tricks.

The things that have really struck me about my increased attendance at the park is the dedication of a lot of the kids up here to riding everyday and the fact that it is such a social scene. A good number of kids are there every single day, a goal that I have for myself, trying to better their snowboarding prowess and to have fun and stay in decent shape. It really inspires me to see people out there just having fun and trying to progress to be the best they personally can.

The social aspect is fun and humorous, in that it sort of reminds me of high school. It is a lot of fairly diverse, or as diverse as it gets in our fairly small, sheltered community, people that are all brought together by a common activity, that are checking out all the aspects of other people. What I mean is that, to most people, my friends and sometimes myself included, what someone is wearing, what tricks they do and their attitude on the hill are reflections on their entire being. This sounds a little convoluted, but try to follow; what they wear makes a personal statement about their personality and other outside interests. You can tell if the person is really there to ride or if they are attempting to impress others by the amount they spent on their gear, or if they are trying to go the other direction and show how hardcore or good they are by doing goofy things such as wearing super tight pants or clothing that makes them look like a snow thug. The trick thing is a little harder to judge, a lot of people do tricks they are comfortable with, which is good, but after seeing the same trick on the same feature for a few days straight, I just want to tell people to learn something new. I enjoy seeing people who mix it up, try different tricks and aren't afraid to fall trying to learn something.(An undesirable trait that I see in myself sometimes.) This kind of brings me to the attitude issue.

Attitude is an interesting idea to me, because of the fact that people's attitude can and does change on an almost daily basis. Obviously, their underlying feelings, demeanor and ideals are going to be the same, but their attitude can definitely shift. For example, I am usually pretty excited to be on the hill with any one of any ability level, for the simple fact that it keeps me grounded and helps me remember my own beginnings or my own shortcomings. But, if I get stuck riding with someone who is constantly complaining or always making fun of other riders, it hampers my ability to have a good time. Also, I can't ride with people who question other people's ideas of having a good time, I figure that other people have paid their money, and as long as they aren't yelling profanities or running people over, let them have their fun with their friends. People need to open their minds and realize that everyone is still essentially the same and are trying to have a good time doing something they love, if that means yelling with your friends, or riding with the family, or cruising by yourself with your headphones rocking, more power to you.

So, that was a fun little sojourn into the idealist thoughts that make me wish that we lived in an Utopian society, even though the realist in me knows that Utopia is a concept and not something that is actually possible. Hopefully, everyone doesn't think I am a nut or something, I just really want people to have fun and not worry what others think so much.

Almost forgot, I got a new jacket and a new pair of goggles for a screaming deal yesterday. My jacket is kind of orange like the above pic though. If anyone needs goggles let me know, because I can get them for pretty cheap.

Keith, Joe and I are going to Northstar for a lodging partner day tomorrow. Going to see what kind of progress they hope to make and have a lot of fun. Also, we will take some pics so they may or may not be posted tomorrow. Hope that people actually read this and not just scan and write it off as miscellaneous ramblings by a kid without a lot to do at work. Hope everyone is physically and emotionally well and hopefully I will see any and all of you soon. Much love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home